Monday, December 23, 2013

Why is Education Key to our Future?

I am asking this question of anyone who reads this blog.  I would like your feedback.  Why do YOU  believe education is key to the future.

As for me, I am reminded of the song Children are our Future - "Teach them well and let them lead the way"!  They will be the movers and shakers in our shared future.  They will be working long after my generation exits the workforce and will inherit the world that we helped build.

To me it is a simple question with a simple answer.  Why?  My answer is that with a strong education that challenges them, they will be be better able to succeed.  Education, while it does not assure success, it enables it.

There are MANY studies that show that those with college educations are more successful than those without.  Yes, there are those like Bill Gates and Larry Ellison who dropped out and did very well. However, they dropped out in a different time with different constraints on entering the workforce.  They dropped out when modern computer science was in its infancy.  I have encouraged my children to attend college and they ARE succeeding....

In my spare time, I also help children when I can.  I have tutored many kids in math, helping some to graduate high school when they were on the fence.  I teach Boy Scout Merit Badges including those in Computers and Astronomy.  I also help with Astronomy outreach with the Northern Virginia Astronomy Club (NOVAC).  My reward is seeing the smile on a child's face the first time they look through a telescope and see the moon, Jupiter and its moons, Saturn, or a star cluster.  (It is also rewarding the first time an adult sees these objects through a telescope!)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.  I hope all are having a WONDERFUL holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment